Friday, March 29, 2013

Blood transfusions and blood patches

One of the times that I was getting my epidural, the needle went in too far and some of my spinal fluid leaked out. This typically results in a spinal headache, which is a really awful headache that only goes away if you lay completely flat. So, lucky me, I ended up with one of the headaches. To fix it, I had done what is called a blood patch, where they drew blood out of my arm and injected it into the epidural space to make a patch or clot where the fluid was leaking. This worked great...for about a day...and then the awful headache came back. Laying flat and waiting for it to heal on its own wasn't an option I wanted to do since I was going back and forth from the NICU a few times a day so I went back and had anesthesia do a second blood patch. This one did the trick and I have been headache free! Thank goodness! I ended up with a pretty bruised and sore back. 

While in the NICU, they monitor all sorts of labs on the babies. Maddox's hematocrit kept dropping and it was the only thing that was keeping him in the hospital so on March 20, they decided to do a blood transfusion. The poor kid had to get two IV's started, one for the blood and one for TPN during the transfusion, It took 7 sticks to get the 2 IV's, but this kid is a trooper. I give blood transfusions all the time but it was a lot different to watch the blood go into an IV in the head of my baby...but the transfusion did the trick and this baby went from super pale to nice and pink! 


No comments:

Post a Comment